Thursday, March 24, 2016

CASIN OF SAN SILVESTRO

At the height of the borough of Puccianiello, the aqueduct Carolino is introduced within the Forest of S. Sylvester, an estate of one hundred hectares, expanded and rearranged to make it suitable for hunting, to the cultivation of vines and olive trees, for raising of sheep and production of fine cheeses.In the resort called Parito, between 1797 and 1801, it was built a casino to offer refreshment to the king and his entourage during the hunt.
From the inner garden, organized according to the Renaissance’s canons,a series of orchards on terraces, mediates the relationship between the building and the view of the Campania’s plain dominated by the size of the Palace in the distance.
Covering an area of about eight hectares planted in front of the building was a large rectangular vineyard called of San Silvestro.

Saturday, March 5, 2016

ARIE NAPOLETANE

From the late seventeenth century Naples was one of the venues for any Italian (or Italianate) composer or singer in search of fame and fortune. 
Great castrati like Farinelli, Senesino and Caffarelli intoxicated audiences, four conservatoires churned out star singers trained to the utmost, and composers like Alessandro Scarlatti, Leonardo Leo, 
Leonardo Vinci, Nicola Porpora and Giovanni Battista Pergolesi vied for public attention and private patronage. It was a heady musical mix of unequalled richness and variety, and a place where a composer might be murdered by a jealous nobleman, or a singer be thrown into prison for public lasciviousness.